Saturday, December 29, 2012

The Forgotten Pledge

When we were in school, we used to recite this every morning.

India is my country and all Indians are my brothers and sisters.
I love my country and I am proud of its rich and varied heritage.
I shall always strive to be worthy of it.
I shall give my parents, teachers and all elders respect and treat everyone with courtesy.
To my country and my people, I pledge my devotion. In their well-being and prosperity alone, lies my happiness.

Thousands, maybe millions of students have been saying this every day of their school life. And yet, we behave like animals with our fellow citizens.

We don't treat women with respect and courtesy. There is nothing to be proud about as a citizen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License

Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Copy Pasting from this site is allowed only if you give credits. Ok ?