Friday, February 3, 2012

WOW - RAH !!!

I LOVE Robert Pires. He was the type of player who made me and many Gooners around the world, dream. Yup, dreamy is the word, Arsenal fans use about him quite often, especially The Arseblogger.
I remember that one evening distinctly in 2003. It was Oshtomi and we were playing at Anfield. I clearly told my parents that Pandal Hopping would have to wait this evening for me, for my Gods were on the telly. And with the game at 1-1, this happened !!!

It is probably one of my most favourite goals ever. I don't know why, I remember it so distinctly, I remember going beserk at that time, wearing a certain yellow t-shirt at home. I still have that and whenever I wear it, my mind keeps going back to that Oshtomi evening. And this goal.
Bobby was awesome. The Arseblogger wrote the following in his good bye post for Bobby, many summers ago, which sums him up beautifully:

".. He was clever on the ball and creative, although his cruciate injury robbed him of his deceptive pace, he passed it beautifully but his goalscoring and finishing was just top class. Not only could he score brilliant curlers and individual goals he was a brilliant poacher as well. He was always waiting for a rebound or a fumble or hanging around the back post, just in case, and that just in case became ‘Thank you very much’ plenty of times.
He was just clinical. Left foot, right foot, from distance, free kicks, even the odd header. His first goal for the club was an absolute belter against Lazio. His last was a scrappy one against Wigan. But there were so many great ones inbetween. The curler at Liverpool in the unbeaten season, the 35 yard lob over the keeper against Southampton before he scuttled in the winner against them in the cup final, the famous lob over Schmeichel which made Andy Gray wee in his pants, the belter against Birmingham and all the goals against Sp*rs who must be happier than anyone to see him go. He never once finished on the losing side of a North London derby and scored 8 goals in 12 appearances. "
The world is a strange place. It is 2012 and Robert Pires, yes the same, dreamy, brilliant, awesome Robert Pires is going to turn up for HOWRAH in a newly formed professional football league in Poschim Bongo !!! When they say, truth is stranger than fiction, they mean things like this. It is unbelievable in so many levels, that it makes me just shake my head, but also smile. Just read this and smile if you are a football loving Bong:
"Hernan Crespo, the famed Argentine striker, fetched the highest price of Rs. 4.2 crore and was picked up by Barasat. Fabio Cannavaro, the World Cup-winning captain of Italy in 2006 — was bought by Siliguri for Rs. 4.15 crore. Robert Pires, the French midfielder, was picked up by Howrah for Rs. 4 crore, while English striker Robbie Fowler (2.65 crore) and Nigerian midfielder Jay-Jay Okocha (2.75 crore) went to Kolkata and Durgapur respectively."
Now repeat with me: Crespo will play for Barasat, Cannavaro for Siliguri, Pires for Howrah !!! This is the type of  stuff you don't even think or dare dreaming. I know that they are old now, possibly spent forces and all that, but still. Jeez.
They are calling it Football's Expendables and I am absolutely clueless as to what impact this will have, if any at all, on Indian football, as Pires joins the likes of Cannavaro and Crespo in the Maidans of Bengal.
I will probably watch on sometimes as a curious onlooker when the thing happens, but just for now, I will go back to what some of us do about Bobby. SWOON
Swoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License

Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Copy Pasting from this site is allowed only if you give credits. Ok ?