Saturday, March 5, 2011

Why I can't dance Saala

Among the vast number of "life-skills" that I suck at - for eg - cooking, painting, writing (or hand-writing to be more precise), driving, speaking and so on - dancing has to be on the top of the list. I am not putting singing on this list, because as I have mentioned in this post, had I been not cruelly cut short as a kid, my singing career could have gone places.
But coming back to dancing, and I am the type of person, who makes Sunny Deol look like Hrithik Roshan. And Sourav Ganguly as Prabhu Deva. The song Pappu can't dance Saala could well have been written about me... Other than the spectacular, muscular part of it.
And so while I have outwardly pretended to not care about this particular shortcoming of mine and dismissed any picture taken of mine at attempted dancing - as random movements of my various body parts under the influence of mild alcoholic beverages, I would be lying to say that it has not bothered me. Not too much to lose sleep for nothing bothers me that much, but just enough to cringe within when seeing these reality dance shows. Or watching friends dance at parties.
So when I came across this link on Google News today, I learnt a scientific explanation of why some people can't dance well. Quoting from the article here:
"...Large changes in a chemical messenger, gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) is partly to blame for those among us who are clumsy dancers and unable to grasp the nuances of this form of art, claims a new study.
........
Scientists found the proportion of the substance GABA tends to rise and fall dramatically in brains of people who are good at learning sequences of movements.
However, the level of the chemical is more stable in those who have trouble with the task at hand..."
So there I have it - while Dada could conquer the Gabba, his GABA factor is far too stable to make him a good dancer. Or me, for that matter.
On that point, here's a #youremember video to make you smile hopefully. Or cringe.

1 comment:

  1. I always knew there had to be a chemical locha behind my complete and absolute lack of this one skill. Much relieved now. Should do a little jig.

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License

Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Copy Pasting from this site is allowed only if you give credits. Ok ?